Wednesday, September 28, 2016

a sad day...


Our family said goodbye to our dear Aunt Anita yesterday. I grew up with her and Uncle John and their children. Our families celebrated birthdays and communions and graduations and holidays together. We ate many dinners together and vacationed together and played together. We gathered together at bridal showers and weddings and rejoiced when babies were born.We have lived most of our lives together.
It was a sad day yesterday, especially when I noticed that her husband and brothers and their wives are all old now. They are all in their eighties and my dad is 90. Luckily, they are all of sound mind, but their bodies are old. The majority of their lives are finsihed and that realization added weight to my already heavy heart.
At the luncheon, I watched my husband and children and cousins. I watched my dad and his wife and his sister-in-law and brother and brother-in-law hover together. I saw friends and family laugh together and wipe away tears and hug each other. The room was filled with people who had gathered together to honor and celebrate  Aunt Anita. That is something special, my friends, as we only have one life and we need to live it, in good times and in bad, with those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment