I need to make something pumpkin so this cake looks to be perfect. As our kids are coming over for a birthday celebration on Saturday, I thought we could sing and blow out candles and then divide the dessert in "to-go" containers before heading out to dinner. Doesn't it just scream October?
Moist and fluffy Pumpkin cake with a sweet and rich Cream cheese frosting
Prep Time:20 min Cook Time:30 min Total Time:50 min
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, apple sauce and pumpkin puree. Stir with a whisk until thoroughly combined. (No need for an electric mixer!)
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir with a clean whisk to sift and combine.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to wet mixture, just until combined. Batter will be thick. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake cake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat with an electric hand-mixer on medium speed until well combined. Gradually blend in powdered sugar. Frost cake with frosting and serve!
Notes: Store cake covered in fridge, up to 4 days.