|This photo belongs to Iowa Girl Eats|
Crock Pot Balsamic Beef Sandwiches with Blue Cheese, Crispy Shallots and Easy Au Jus via Iowa Girl E
Adapted from Add a Pinch
2-3lb chuck roast, trimmed of visible fat and cut into large hunks
14oz can beef broth, divided
1-1/4 cups balsamic vinegar, divided
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
lots of salt and pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large shallots, cut into rings then separated
2oz blue cheese, crumbled
gluten-free sandwich or hoagie buns
- Add chuck roast hunks, 1 cup beef broth, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, sweet onion, soy sauce, honey, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper into a 5-6 quart crock pot. Place a lid on top then cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat shreds easily. Shred meat then return to crock pot and cook on low for 1 more hour.
- Meanwhile bring remaining 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan then turn heat down to medium and simmer until vinegar is thickened and slightly sweet tasting, about 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when you scrape a spatula across the bottom and the vinegar stays parted for a second or two. Pour reduced balsamic vinegar into a serving dish. (Can do this ahead of time – microwave reduced balsamic vinegar for 15-20 seconds to get it to pouring consistency.)
- Strain the cooking liquid from the crock pot through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheese cloth into the same saucepan, leaving a little bit of liquid in the crock pot to keep the meat juicy. Put the meat back into the crock pot and place a lid on top to keep warm. Add remaining beef broth to the saucepan then bring mixture to a boil and then turn heat down to medium and simmer until reduced and vinegar taste has mellowed, 20 minutes. Pour the au jus into a serving dish.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the shallots then saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain then sprinkle lightly with salt and repeat with remaining shallots.
- Pile meat onto buns then top with crispy shallots, blue cheese, and reduced balsamic vinegar. Serve with au jus on the side.