Wednesday, June 3, 2015

it's soup time...


I don't know why but I had to make Turkey Kale Soup yesterday. Well, I do know why as I am really working on not wasting any food and I had a few carrots and celery and onions that needed to be used as well as a red pepper and half bag of kale.  I somewhat followed this recipe and loved adding the Herbes de Provence.  The aroma that filled my kitchen when the seasoning was mixed with the turkey and vegetables was heavenly. 

Turkey, Kale, and Brown Rice Soup via
Serves 4
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
5 large shallots, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
8 oz. ground white turkey meat, broken into small chunks
1 tbsp. herbes de Provence
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 small bunch (4 packed cups) kale, center ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt, divided
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil, then add shallots, carrots and bell pepper. Stir frequently until vegetables begin to brown and soften slightly, 8-10 minutes.
2. Add turkey and stir until the meat turns white and begins to color very slightly around the edges, 5-7 minutes. Add herbes de Provence and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add broth, diced tomatoes and cooked rice, and bring to a boil. Stir in kale, then season with black pepper and ¼ tsp. salt.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with the remaining ¼ tsp. salt.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
In 1 serving: 361 calories, 12g fat, 627mg sodium, 39g carbs, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 24g protein 
—Nancy Mattia

No comments:

Post a Comment