Thursday, March 5, 2015

mmmmm, mmmmm good....



White Chicken Chili | Inspired by Charm
I love chili and I wanted to make a healthy version so last night I whipped up a pot of White Chicken Chili.  The few things that I did differently is I used my Dutch Oven as everything is better in a Dutch Over. Also, when the chili was finished, I added a cup of milk mixed with corn meal and cooked it about 30 minutes longer to give it a creamier consistency.  I also added some cayenne pepper and chili powder at that time, too, so it would have a bit of a "kick".  The dish was topped with some delicious shredded cheese, sour cream and parsley to add a splash of color. Nick and I loved it and Brian thought it was just "Okay". 

White Chicken Chili via Inspired by Charm
Here's what you will need:

 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 large onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 cup Chardonnay (dry and buttery, if possible)
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) great northern beans, drained
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained
2 cans (11 ounces) sweet white corn, drained
1 can (4.5 ounce) diced green chilies, drained
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (plus extra for garnish)
Salt and pepper to taste

Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

In a large skillet with olive oil, sauté the diced chicken, onions, and garlic.
In a 5-quart slow cooker, add the cooked chicken, garlic, and onions. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste. Set the slow cooker to high and heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the chili is hot.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with Monterey Jack cheese and chopped parsley for color.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment